In February, two more of our therapists attended a course in Mesa, Arizona held by the American Institute of Balance and became certified in vestibular rehabilitation and concussion management. They learned the most cutting edge research for rehabilitation in regards to concussions and vestibular symptom evaluation and treatment. The duo have developed an updated Galaxy protocol to best treat our clients for optimal recovery/return to life.
What should you do if you or a loved one sustains a concussion? A few general guidelines suggested immediately following a concussion include:
1. Seek medical attention to ensure the severity of the injury is not life threatening.
2. Observe cognitive rest for 24-48 hours after the injury. This includes avoiding activities which may exacerbate your symptoms including: driving, screen time, learning a new activity, work/school, multiple sensory environments, etc.
3. Stay hydrated! Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and slow your systems normal processing.
4. Eat for brain health. Avoid processed foods as much as possible and eat balanced meals throughout the day to provide your body with the nutrition it needs to heal from this injury.
5. If your symptoms persist, obtain prescriptions for therapies at Galaxy Brain and Therapy Center and come in for an evaluation. Our therapists are trained and ready to help!
Galaxy- WHERE NEUROSCIENCE MEETS FUNCTIONAL OUTCOMES